Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Expecto Patronum!

I had no intention of buying the book. Well I knew I d have the online copy in a couple of hours. So there I sat at the window at B & N trying to read and looking at the little witches and wizards shivering with excitement and wondered what the fuss was about.

Well I love Potter.I half read the second one and didnt like it so much. And then started again to finish the first 4 in a week. I absolutely refused to watch the movies. Having very definite ideas about what everything/everyone should look like I very much wanted to hold on to my imagination. But then one lazy afternoon I saw the movies and loved them too.

So now with the final one coming out I definately wanted to know how Rowling would choose to end it all. I was just finding it difficult to comprehend the hysteria, the craze. But sitting at that window looking at parents bring in their kids to put down their names for the books; I think I finally understood.

At a time when teens stand in lines to buy an iPhone paying 600$ to get bound into a two year contract; knowing that people still stand in line for books is a bit comforting

For a 10 year old reading a book that the 15 year old sibling also reads is a tremendous ego boost and an indelible part of growing up just like my Enid Blytons

Friends can be made easily when you share the same marker pen scar on the forehead

'He has glasses like me' a 5 year old squealed. Yes you now know that you can always threathen that big bully calling you a four eyed toad with your wand.

With rampant online book piracy (well I dont condone nor condemn it) being interested enough to buy a hard bound book bodes good feels right

A mid night party surrounded by books and dressed up mommies and daddies acting/reading out the story sounds like fun even to the big kid that I am

For someone born in the 80 s who wasnt a flower child, not a part of the Star Wars Club,didnt have a fav girl band its nice to be part of something global:D (ofcourse by this I mean a fun thing not to be confused with global issues)

Most of all even when ur all grown up at 25 you still know that if JM Barrie s ghost says clap if you believe in fairies you will be standing tall and clapping your heart out. Some of those books did the magic for me and now Potter does it for so many others.

You see Potter didnt start off as a craze but slowly became one when people of all generations loved the book,the amazing story telling that J.K. Rowling does for kids who can imagine and grownups who want to remember what it was like to let imagination run wild. So yes the fuss was definately worth it. Maybe it was marketing, maybe its all about money but I guess the kids dont know that. And just for them its all worth it

And yes I read the book , a perfect hard bound book and loved it. A gift from a guy who abhors piracy in all forms. (And I thought I had growing up to do:D) . Yeah and though I am a confirmed Slytherin the nerdy part of me proudly wears the Ravenclaw wristband:))). Now if I only I could only find a wand and make my way to Neverland:)

5 comments:

bha said...

Nice one to make someone like me read harry potter whose fairy fiction reading is limited to 4th std enid blytons..... though dont deny that can get hoooked to it even today

Vini said...

a wristband? ask the boy to get you a diadem ;)
wonderful read, I love the series myself for much the same reasons!

Ariel said...

bhags: let me know if u need me to send the books over any day:)

vini: ah diadem.....well we re getting there :D.....

Ritz said...

Nice.. havent read any of Potter's.. feel that i ve missed out with all the euphoria arnd.. we really din have nethin huh.. except for that 16 year old kid who whacked a legendary spinner to all parts of the ground in Lahore in '89! :P

Ariel said...

:))))....and I like the comment