Friday, September 7, 2007

The day of Judgement

“Criticism, as it was first instituted by Aristotle, was meant as a standard of judging well”
- Samuel Johnson

So keeping in line with Aristotle s thoughts I intend to criticize certain mostly human traits in this post. This btw is a tag from Atticus who is one of the five people aware of this blog. The safety the anonymity can offer has nothing to do with the viciousness of the judgmental outlook. I generally walk around with my claws unsheathed. But this is a difficult tag for me. What with my supreme nonchalance towards life and people in general I had to dig real deep to find the prejudice and now spew I will.

They look down their long noses on people who don’t read. I am well read. Or rather was before I got too busy doing things I hadn’t done the last 25 years of my life. And yes I can discuss any book under the sun and enjoy doing it. But that does not give me the right to look down on people who dont read. It is just a activity like say surf boarding and while one supposedly builds character, building muscles is not bad too. I am tired of people behaving condescendingly to the non reading guys. Well people read something because you enjoy it not because its a conversation starter. And definitely not for the halo you think it gives you on the top of your head.

They obsess over others appearance. A friend has put on weight and the whole world takes it upon them selves to compare her to a baby elephant on a public forum. Why does everyone have a say on our appearance? It s my body, my style of dressing, my hair. You don’t really have to look if you don’t like it. Well privately voicing concerns over weight and dressing is obviously much appreciated but humiliating someone and drawing comparison with pigs in heels even if well intentioned (??) sucks

They think invading your private space is their birth right and they just wont take no for an answer. Nothing is too private for them. I usually smile and tell them to take a hike and yes I do get a lot of flak for this. But I resent the asking. My personal life is just that personal. I am very guarded about it and I have friends and family who I discuss it with. But if your not one of them I ll let you know and you don’t have to take it personally

They never feel strongly about anything. They move with the flow and wait for someone else to take a stand. They will talk about their grievances with everyone except talk about it with the very person they have an issue with. They are the wait and watch guys. They generate enough emotion in me to want to bodily harm them

They insist that their actions were to help someone along or due to pressure from someone else. This gives me a laugh. I believe that everyone ultimately chooses to do something because deep down they agree with it. These very people chose to keep justifying their actions. As long as you stick with discussing what works for you that s fine. But when you start pulling others down for their decisions I just think you wished you were in their shoes

They tell me I eat meat and so cannot love animals. By that logic I drink water and so must hate rain. Yeah I know the metaphor is pathetic and so is the aforementioned reasoning

They think everyone except them has had it easy. They either think they are shining pillars of strength and sacrifice or turn into sniveling moping individuals. And they thrive on public sympathy. Just because someone doesn’t discuss their problems it does not mean they ve had an easy ride. And if you’re fighting your demons you are doing it for yourself and that is a selfish reason. If you are sacrificing for your family you owe it to them. So be proud of it. Don’t expect me to be proud of it or sympathize with you. I have my hands full with my issues

I of course have a lot more to add so let’s call it a work in progress. All this purging is making it more and more difficult to hide those horns and that spiked tail :D

7 comments:

Atticus said...

Ah this is such a classic :) Well written (esp the intro!), and needless to say, Im with you on most counts except a few where I might be guilty myself! (lets not discuss those ok?)

bha said...

so after a long time...well i am with you for the book reading and looks, the animal loving thing, I differ a little...all and all a nice read, hope you would do it often

Vini said...

My personal grouse, right about now, is with people who talk so loudly into the phone, that you can hear it across 5 cubicles. There should be a phone etiquette course for all faff and no substance managers.
Very well compiled list there!

unpredictable said...

:) Add me to the list of people aware of this blog :) Nice to see like minded claw sheating individuals :) How are ya?

Ariel said...

atticus: ok...but wht do I get for keeping my lips zipped??:D

bhags:thnx! will sure try:)...and yes consider urself tagged. Weave it into one of the lovely stories u write in every post:)

vini:ah that I remember..worked 3 years through that:)...also I would love to hear you write abt the same so ur tagged gurl

unpred: fantastic:)...and looks like ur doin awesome too:)...now since ur painting did u ever know that water colours fade if exposed to day light!! funny it never happened to me in India but here my paintings disappear

Vini said...

Tag.. ah! I promise to try! :)
an aside here regarding the water colour fadin bit if you don't mind- ink fades too, remember those chelpark days when we were in school and ink pens were this retro things to use, I had taken some notes with one of those and just before my exams I realized my notes had literally diappeared into thin air, and then I realized I had written my English exam with an ink pen. I had immediately called up my english teacher and asked her to check if my answer sheet was ok!!

Vini said...

Well, done! Now you tell me if it was "well done".
Talk about eats, shoots and leaves :D