Thursday, December 6, 2007

A Penny for my Thoughts

Man is surely a social animal. He always seeks out like minded people and cushioned in a womb of collective agreement on various issues gauges his life’s success. Which of course depends on how much people like him like him. Every one else with a different opinion is an outsider out to get this 'community' with its perceived sense of belonging. To be dealt with anger, arrogance, contempt or ifs a kinder soul with a patronizing attitude. We ve seen these 'ties that bind' as kids in school, then college, then workplaces, then society in general and have lived with it for ever. Or heard of it and ignored it as a fact of life... Birds of a feather... anyone?? Now I read about it in blogs. Where people have created their own virtual personalities and have started believing in it. Where not everyone is a writer but writes. And yet where people are not forgiving of the 'perceived' tone of the post. Where cliques of people take up for their virtual comrades in arms. Where the concept of personal space is recognized only when preceded with a 'my' and lines between concern and voyeurism are startlingly blurred.
The thing is when people write they are more transparent than when they speak. They don’t have their audience right in front of them to temper the language or clarify if something is lost in translation. So when I see seemingly well heeled individuals reveal their intolerant prejudiced self in the name of expressing an opinion or standing up for someone it scares me. Of the many masks we wear the global tolerant yuppie is one we love the most but when our guard is down do we like us so much?

12 comments:

Sir Vincent Morgan said...

I absolutelly agree with you. The "Cyber Space" has become in an important "Personal Space", where people are able to leave their masks behind and start to be temselves.

Eventhough I can't deny that I like to talk with people, from a very personal point of view, I feel "strangely free" to write in the blogs or in the fotologs aroun the world, because I think that when you write alone, with no interruption....something flows from the bottom of the soul and expresses in a myterious way.

On the other hand, I believe that the lack of respect that usually people have when you express your opinion about an especific topic, make people feel afraid about giving their opinion. Meanwhile,when you write, you don't nobody interrupting you or telling you that what you think is wrong, incorrect or false.

I give you a dollar for your thoughts...

Sir Vincent Morgan said...

I'm sorry about ortography but I had just some minutes to write you down the post. I invite you to visit mine.

If you don't speak(or write) spanish, soon I'll make some comments in english for the anglosaxon world...;-)

Vini said...

There are the gaps which are like you said perceived differently by different people. But sometimes, there are also the words, which had they not been written would have left a connection undiscovered. The gift of resonating with someone across the continents with barely a verse or a sentence makes the ride worthwhile. Besides, somehow knowing that the masks are down is easier to live with no matter how gory the sight than the uncertainity of a world where you have to watch your back all the time.

Ariel said...

Vincent: Thanks for dropping by:)and put those opinions out there without fear:)I dont read spanish yet but will sure drop by when I do

Vini: Yes:). And thts why I m still here. I miss reading ur post on mediocrity on ur old blog. Its one of the best pieces of writing I ve ever read out here. And the reason I started reading personal blogs which were public. But I am done. I dont want to soothe ruffled feathers over selective reading. And I dont think I can be a passive reader anymore. So I m going back to my old reads:). Time to update the blogroll:)

Vini said...

How can anyone be held answerable for what they choose to read? Reading is such a private thing!
And the post on mediocrity that you referred to has been years in the making. Infact I had to fiercely edit my thoughts while writing it because I was unable to put down a lot of what I felt in black and white. And that post is on my new blog actually :)

bha said...

havent seen you up lately....hope everything is fine

Atticus said...

V interesting post- yeah some controversies in the last few years have reared the ugly head of online presences. where it probably gets dangerous is that a few negative comments on a piece can instigate a wave of hatred.

I just think that its also a matter of time- as blogging becomes more prevalent, we will become mature in our reactions to someons public writing.

Parul said...

Hey there Ariel,

I don't have the context which is driving this post but agree with the general idea.

Ariel said...

Bhags: jst busy:)

Atticus: sure hope so

Parul: it was a general comment on many blogs I was reading. Especially the ones dealing with the primaries here.:)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Vini said...

No squeak for many many weeks, whats up?

Vini said...

So will a tag do the trick? I am trying!